Sunday 22 June 2014

Book Chat (#1) - Book Jealousy


Book jealousy is something, I believe, that no avid reader is exempt from. Let me set the scene for you. You begin to read a book. You begin to click with the characters and invest time in the plot. You may even go on to bury yourself deeper in the fandom. This book is something you love and is at the top of your favourites list. It spoke to you in a way that not many other books have… AND THEN you see someone else reading your book and are overcome with a rage so strong you feel that you may rival The Hulk.

My friend, you have book jealousy. 

Watching other people reading a book you adore can often make you feel uncomfortable and for me that boils down to a few things. Usually I have gained something from the plot, some type of message, or I have found parts of myself in the characters. When someone else starts to read that book I think I freak out because I don't want someone to have a different opinion. I'm worried if they don't enjoy it they will make fun, and like a bear and her cub, I will have no control over how I react. 

But in all seriousness, I think when I get book jealous it is simply because I am scared. Different opinions and different views that conflict with my own may start to take the shine off something I love.

However, I think it is beneficial to be a bit more open. Rather than freaking out that people who don't usually read are reading a book and it becoming more popular, should we celebrate it? The more popular a book becomes the more likely we are to have discussions on it. We may even potentially see it progress to a film or TV series as was the case with TFIOS and Game of Thrones.

Overall, I don't think that book jealousy is a bad thing. I think it's wonderful being so passionate about books that we get protective over them. I just think we should be more open to giving others the chance at doing that as well.


No comments: