Sunday 13 July 2014

The Statistical Probability Of Love At First Sight - Jennifer E. Smith

Title: The Statistical Probability Of Love At First Sight - Jennifer E. Smith
Publisher: Headline Review
Series: N/A
Service: Bookbridgr
Release Date: 05/01/2012
Pages: 226
Format: E book


Rating: 

Buy || Twitter || Website || Goodreads

Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?

Imagine if she hadn't forgotten the book. Or if there hadn't been traffic on the expressway. Or if she hadn't fumbled for coins for the toll. What if she'd run just that little bit faster and caught the flight she was supposed to be on. Would it have been something else - the weather over the Atlantic or a fault with the plane?

Hadley isn't sure if she believes in destiny or fate but, on what is potentially the worst day of each of their lives, it's the quirks of timing and chance events that mean Hadley meets Oliver…

Set over a 24 hour period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it. 

Give us a word…
Why do you say that?

When I got this book I really wasn't sure what to think of it. The title made me think that it would be something I didn't gel with but considering everyone was talking about The geography of you and me, I felt I should give this a shot. 

The statistical probability of love at first sight was actually a rather interesting book. Don't get me wrong, this book is rather fluffy and for an evening where you want a read with a plot that isn't difficult to follow I would say this is perfect.

Hadley is on her way to her father's wedding which is over in London. She misses her flight by four minutes and is forced to take the next one. This small event causes her to meet the English born, Oliver and this is where our story starts. 

They both end up sitting next to each other on the plane and begin a series of short conversations over the seven hour flight. Throughout this, Hadley begins to wonder whether she fancies Oliver and whether he potentially feels the same way about her. After they land, they are separated and the story takes a turn to Hadley and the relationship between her and her father. I was much happier to see that this entire book is not made up of a teen relationship based on 7 hours of getting to know each other. 

The father/daughter relationship is rocky at best and Hadley does not want to be at her father's wedding. Their small interactions and Hadley's memories of when she was younger and nicely put together and I thought her reasoning behind not getting on with her Dad anymore was justifiable. However I did not like the way they patched up their relationship. Just like other aspects in this books I thought it was just a little too rushed. 

Hadley and Oliver obviously find their way back to each other in the end and end up dancing together at her father's wedding reception. Having sorted out the little blips they have suffered along the way there seems to be an unspoken beginning to a relationship occurring and this just didn't sit right with me. So many loose ends got tied up in a book that was set over a 24 hour period.

Although I enjoyed the writing style and the general family issues that got raised, I wasn't crazy about this book so I don't think it will be one I pick up again any time soon.



No comments: